this is pretty long (almost five minutes) and kind of boring but it’s video of me teaching Dune how to ring a service bell for his advanced trick dog title—from start to finish.
I was surprised at how quickly he picked this up because
– the training is all over the place sloppy
– I thought, I don’t usually encourage him to target anything with his paws—we use nose for almost everything
– the bell is really finicky and will only ring properly when tapped on from directly above
but guess what?? tricks are foundations for life. and he has lots of experience putting two feet up on an object (so that he can pivot), targeting contacts on the floor with his paw (mostly rear but we did do some work with all four), AND manipulating a prop to create a specific sound for a reward (because he rings bells to go outside.) so all that made this WICKED easy minus two blimps where he
1. attempts to roll over the bell (at which point I yell WHAT)
2. ends up lying directly on top of the bell (at which point I call him a dragon and ask if he wants to try again)